Tyldesley claim final place at Twickenham

Tyldesley 22, Percy Park 17 With a massive crowd cheering them on Tyldesley made it to Twickenham to play Cullompton from Devon in the EDF Senior Vase Final with a nail biting victory over the excellent Percy Park.

It was the home side who were the quickest out of the blocks as they took the game by the scruff of the neck and in the fifth minute scored a try to grace the occasion.

A ruck ball on Tyldesley's own 10 metre line on the left hand side of the field was shipped across the back line and outside centre John Fisher made a half break, passed on to Dickinson who looped round and put winger Corbett into the clear. Corbett drew the full back and passed back inside to Dickinson who shot over the line from 25 metres before converting his own try.

The game was a pulsating encounter with some great attacking play from both sides.

Halftime: Tyldesley 7, Percy Park 0

With six minutes of the second period played Tyldesley scored their second try when MoM Johnny Bishop stripped the ball in the tackle just outside his own 22 and made a 15 metre burst up the field. The ball was moved to the Tyldesley left and full back Grobler joined the line at pace on the half way line and broke the first line of defence, chipped exquisitely and chased his own kick to score wide on the left. Dickinson's conversion drifted across the face of the goal but Tyldesley were 12 points to the good.

Percy Park having lost only one game this season and that by a single point were never going to lie down and they came back even stronger. Five minutes after Tyldesley's second score the visitors turned some sustained pressure into points when Turnbull crashed over by the left hand corner flag. Rutter converted his most difficult kick of the afternoon from the touchline and into the wind to put the visitors within a score.

From deep inside his half, Tyldesley hooker Travis Twizell punted the ball deep and the good chase forced the visitors to return the ball but it fell into the waiting arms of Grobler who again made some huge yards and from a ruck in centre field Percy Park were penalised for not rolling away and Dickinson stroked over the penalty to put Tyldesley 15 points to 7 ahead with just 15 minutes left on the clock.

Once again Percy Park hit back when their loose head prop Sam Walton crashed over after a quick tap penalty. Rutter once again converted from the touchline to bring the score to 15-14.

Percy Park were doing all the pressing and it appeared that it would be only a matter of time before they got the score their efforts deserved. When their fly half sat in the pocket just outside the Tyldesley 22 ready for a drop goal it appeared that time had arrived but Tyldesley skipper Worsfold had other ideas. He charged down the attempt, picked up the loose ball and sprinted clear. He was hauled back 30 metres but the kick through was chased and kicked on by winger Paine with nobody ahead of him but as the ball bounced over the line he was pulled back, and referee Mr Taylorson took advice from his touch judge and awarded a penalty try. Dickinson's simple conversion put Tyldesley 22-14 ahead with seven minutes plus injury time remaining.

With Twickenham awaiting the victor Percy Park dug deep for one last time and when Tyldesley were penalised for offside Rutter stepped up and coolly slotted the penalty to put the visitors only five points adrift.

After the game Tyldesley coach Dave Peet said: "At the start of the season we hoped for a good cup run, quite obviously this is beyond our wildest dreams. We took our chances when they came our way and the defence today was incredible."

Forwards coach Kev Williams added: "The heart and bottle shown by our guys out there today in the face of a relentless onslaught in the last quarter was quite extraordinary. I know that the day at Twickenham will be something that will live with everybody associated with Tyldelsey for the rest of their lives."