Oldham 14 Leigh 56

Lee Smith touches down. Photos: Brian King
Lee Smith touches down. Photos: Brian King
Share this article

Leigh strengthened their grip at the top of the Kingstone Press Championship with a comprehensive win over Oldham at Stalybridge Celtic’s home, Bower Fold

Neil Jukes’ side were rarely troubled as they ran in 10 tries, eight of them converted by Martyn Ridyard.

Leigh had loan signing Brad Fash on debut and welcomed back Greg Worthington to the centres after injury. However there was no return for Willie Tonga who is still struggling to shake off his injury.

Oldham have enjoyed some good results in recent months and stunned Hull KR in the Challenge Cup. But a week after they were thrashed by another Super League side Warrington, they looked well beaten by half time.

Leigh dominated the early stages but they were caught out when a dropped ball was swooped on by Oldham centre Danny Grimshaw who raced 60 metres to score a try which Steven Roper converted.

The lead didn’t last long as Centurions were level within three minutes. Reni Maitua hit a short pass from Martyn Ridyard at pace to score. Ridyard also added the goal.

The rest of the half belonged to Leigh as they scored four tries in the 16 minutes before half time.

A kick through from Ben Reynolds was collected by Lee Smith for a 24th minute try and Ridyard again kicked the extras.

A break from debutant Brad Fash opened up the Oldham defence and Ridyard was in support to finish off from 20 metres though he couldn’t kick the conversion.

Ridyard and Smith combined well to send Liam Kay over in the corner and on the stroke of half time, Liam Hood was on hand to finish a Reynolds break. Ridyard kicked the conversion to make it 6-26 at the break.

Leigh didn’t slow down after the restart, adding two tries in quick succession. Reynolds sent Maitua in for a second before Tom Armstrong was on the end of some attractive attacking play to score out wide. Goals from Ridyard pushed Leigh well ahead at 38-6.

A solo effort from Reynolds saw him cop a high tackle but still scored by the posts.

With 15 minutes remaining, Jamie Acton produced a storming break to scatter defenders and score by the posts and Ridyard’s goal brought up the half century.

Dayne Weston scored from close range soon after but Oldham had the final say with Kate tries from Liam Johnson and Danny Langtree.


Smith, Higson, Worthington, Armstrong, Kay, Ridyard, Reynolds, Acton, Higham, Weston, Whiting, Maitua, Hock. Subs: Hansen, Hood, Fash, Emmitt


Simpson, Clay, Johnson, Grimshaw, Chisholm, Grimshaw, Chisholm, Roper, Owen, Joy, Leeming, Ward, Thompson, Middlehurst, Hope, Burke, Langtree, Hughes, Gee

Pitch: Good

Weather: Dry and bright

Attendance: 1489

Referee: S Mikalauskas