Tyldesley RUFC

Share this article

Stockport 71 Tyldesley 10.

This was only their second defeat during a very rewarding and productive season and despite going out of top tier senior colt’s cup, there was nothing but admiration and sheer pride as Tyldesley put in a heroic performance as they took on a team that had quality and pace in abundance, who also play four leagues higher. It was always going to be mission impossible, to progress to the colts cup semi-final, even had they a full compliment.

Due to injury and regrettable unavailability Bongs could only muster 11 players, whilst their more illustrious opponents had the maximum 22, giving them twice as many, enabling them to constantly refresh at will, which they did.

Not fazed by all the adversity, Tyldesley defended superbly to a man, and ran their blood to water from start to finish, as they put in some massive hits, which regrettably forced two opposition players off with concussion, such was their desire to compete, but the sheer quality of the opposition and extra space always told, allowing Stockport to run in seven first half tries, five converted.

Tyldesley had their moments, although brief, and where rewarded for their sheer stubbiness and determination to record some points, via two excellent tries, Strong play from Prendergast, Norton, Coyne and Mennell set a ruck just on the opposition 22, Ball sent out a great pass out for Lloyd who went through two players then showed a clean pair of heels to outpace the defence for a superb try, mid-way through the half, conversion missed.

Good breaks and strong runs from Ball, Hargreaves, Bashua, Guest, Lloyd and Unsworth could have seen at least three more scores but it wasn’t to be. With the half coming to an end Tyldesley notched their second score, yet again Norton, Prendergast, Mennell, Coyne & Bashua worked overtime to retain possession, for Ball to Ship out another telling pass, that had Lloyd, Unsworth, Hargreaves & Guest link brilliantly and somehow create an overlap for Monks to finish off in style, for an Excellent team try, conversion missed. Half time 45-10.

Not surprisingly, a very weary Tyldesley team didn’t really threaten the host’s line, who continued to refresh their team with more replacements, during the second half, apart from three decent half breaks from Hargreaves, Unsworth and Guest, but amazingly they restricted the opposition to just four second half tries, three converted, due to more very gutsy team defending. At the final whistle and with nothing left, the smile on the Tyldesley players faces, said it all, as they knew they had given absolutely everything for each other. In what’s been a fantastic season.

Tries Tom Lloyd, Deacon Monks.

Top tacklers: Backs: Matthew Unsworth. Forwards : Matthew Bashua.

Man of the match: the whole team.