Two away wins gives Miners Rangers hope

Amateur RL
Amateur RL

A RUN of four league defeats on the bounce had left the Leigh side languishing but they took confidence from a valiant effort against league leaders Thatto to see off Ince Rose Bridge and East Hull in the space of five days last week.

In the Tuesday night match against relegation-haunted Rose Bridge, Miners were comfortable throughout against spirited opponents, pounding at the Bridge line before breaking through twice before half time: first when Andrew Groves finished off out wide and then with a solo effort from Jimmy Muir. When Darryl Kay stormed over beside the posts early in the second half, and Jonny Youds goaled for 18-0, Miners were in control and although Ince got on the scoresheet themselves through Chris Boylan, another well-taken try by Groves maintained the cushion and a final Ince try for Ryan Eccleston was scant consolation for the home side.

At the weekend Miners weren’t at their fluent best but showed great resolve to come back from 8-0 down at the break to win 18-14, tries from Scott O’Brien, Sean MacDonald and Jonny Youds, who kicked three goals.

The Alliance team won 40-26 against Chorley Panthers with tries from Scott Travis, Matt Monaghan, Dominic Dean and birthday boy Joe Harrison. Tom Bradbury kicked six goals.

The U18s climbed to second in the table with a 38-24 win at Hindley.

The women’s side shared the spoils against third-placed Stanningley in an 18-18 draw. The match was closely fought throughout, with Miners taking the lead on 20 minutes, following a period of sustained pressure when Mandy Edge dived over from acting half to open a 4-0 lead. Stanningley hit back with a well worked try from their stand-off, who scooted under the posts for a converted try. Miners responded well, with their best period of play, scoring three tries in 10 minutes, first to score was Emily Mullen, followed shortly by Mairead Quinn who was on hand to support a Rachel Thompson break. The final try of the half came from player of the match Rachel Thompson who scored under the posts following a break from Megan Eastwood. Emily Mullen converted to give the Miners a half time lead of 18-6

Stanningley started the second half well and were back on level terms inside the first 10 minutes following two converted tries. At that point it appeared the Miners’ first half performance would go to waste, as Stanningley continued to press hard for a decisive score, but the Miners put in a tremendous defensive effort to thwart their efforts and as the half went on, it was the home side who had chances to win the game and were camped on the opposition line as the final whistle went.