High fives all round for Colls

Amateur football
Amateur football
Share this article


Hanley Town made the journey up to Atherton on Saturday, the Colls looking to build on their past two 5-0 wins away at both Oldham Boro and Widnes.

Snow was forecasted the night before for Bolton and its surrounding areas.

Thankfully however, the snow just missed Atherton and that combined with the hard work of the ground staff the game was given the green light following a pitch inspection at 9.30am.

Before the game, Colls goalkeeper Danny Taberner was awarded with NWCFL goalkeeper of the month award –well done Danny!

The Collieries made a start to this game not to dissimilar to the start in the game back in September, they took the lead with just two minutes on the clock.

A long ball came from the Collieries’ back line directed towards striker Mark Battersby; M Battersby won the header well before he headed the ball onto namesake Nathan Battersby.

N Battersby chased the ball into the Hanley box before he crossed across perfectly for Captain Brad Cooke (who had made a late surge into the box) to control and fire into the back of the net.

Four minutes later and the Collieries could have been two goals to the good.

The ball was threaded through to Kris Holt by M Battersby. Holt followed cutting straight through the centre of the D and the Hanley defence. However, Holt’s shot tumbled just wide of the post.

Cooke deservedly got his second of the game on 14 minutes. M Battersby fired a long and hard shot at Hanley goalkeeper Bradley Moorhead who did well to get a hand to M Battersby’s shot, the ball was parried back into open play.

Unfortunately for both Moorhead and Hanley the parried ball landed at the feet of Cooke who easily and simply tapped into the open net. Seconds before the goal Colls goalkeeper Danny Taberner made a vital save for the Collieries, it was the attack following that save which resulted in both Cooke’s and Colls’ second.

Atherton found themselves with a penalty on 19 minutes. Following a mistake from the Hanley defence the ball was played through to M. Battersby who ran well clear of the defence and one on one with the goalkeeper. In his best efforts to prevent M.Battersby continuing his run Moorhead brought Battersby down in the area resulting in a penalty kick and yellow card.

Mark Ayres took the penalty and scored sending Moorhead the wrong way.

With 15 minutes to go until the interval the Collieries had another sight of goal. Holt fired well over the bar after he twisted and turned in the packed box. Holt did well to get his shot away.

Half time: Atherton Collieries 3-0 Hanley Town.

With the second half only being seven minutes old, the score line read 4-0. A low cross from the right hand side of the pitch from Holt into the ever-packed Hanley area took several deflections before striker M Battersby got a touch to direct it into the back of the net. M Battersby, who had played a major part in the first three goals had his first of the game.

On 63 minutes M Battersby had his second and Colls’ fifth and final goal. A low cross from substitute Jordan Cover was whipped into the box towards the near post. M. Battersby who lurked in and around the area directed his run towards the near post and got a touch before the Hanley defender to tap it into the back of the net.

A minute later and Atherton were on the attack again, Mark Truffas had been causing trouble down the left wing all afternoon and a superb run enabled Truffas to be one-on-one with the keeper. However a last ditch challenge cleared the ball out of danger.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for the Collieries however; half chances for Hanley popped up throughout the half but on 76 minutes they had a real chance to pull a goal back. Anthony Malbon of Hanley crossed the ball into the Colls area; teammate and substitute Josh Hall controlled well under pressure from Atherton’s defence. Hall turned and fired his shot against the post. The ball was then cleared out of danger.

Another fine Atherton Collieries win, followed up with another clean sheet.

A big thank you to the ground staff who worked hard to get the game on. The result enabled the team to go back to the top of NWCFL Division 1 table.

On Saturday Colls visit Eccleshall FC in Staffordshire in a league game.