East suffer back to back defeats at start of season

East Hull 24, Leigh East 16

Leigh East lost their second National Conference League game of the season on Saturday in the East v East match. Within minutes of the start Hull were awarded a penalty for a high tackle and used the field position to score the opening try by centre Tommy Brett converted by Jordan Precious.

From the restart Kerrod Selmes hit the ball high into the in goal and East took advantage of a knock-on by the defence as hooker Martin Keavney combined with Selmes for the young Aussie half back to power through the line and score by the uprights, Adrian Dootson levelling the score with the boot.

The home team regained the lead on 10 minutes as Leigh were penalised this time for ripping, Hull when a kick to the corner by scrum half Scott Partis was touched down by winger Jamie Edwards.

Leigh East struck back on the quarter hour, the Hull team penalised for ripping close to the half way and East took advantage when Andrew Groves to score in the corner to level the score.

The home team responded a few minutes later, the referee adjudging a forward pass as East looked to be making ground out of their half, despite his touchline assistant signalling the pass was good. Centre Stuart Coates scored on the left wing.

Hull gained a penalty 10 out when Dootson was penalised for a high tackle on Partis. East were switched off when hooker Matty Brookes tapped and went on his own through a disorganised defensive line. Precious striking an easy two, to give the home side a 20-10 advantage after just 25 minutes.

Another pinpoint kick from the restart by Selmes saw the ball bounce between the centre and wing then into touch. East took advantage moving the ball from the scrum across field to Kevin Murphy on the right wing before moving back infield for Lee Rowley to crash over for a try, Dootson converting. 20-16.

East failed to complete two sets from the restart, knocking on 15 yards out on the fourth tackle, before Hull’s Andy Moody scored. 24-16.

From the scrum Puckering passed to substitute James Myres who shot through the East line for a 60 yard try, Carl Puckering taking the conversion for a 30-16 half time lead.

In the 55th minute the home side were controversially awarded a scrum 30 out for lost ball, when it appeared Puckering had ripped the ball out in a two man tackle. Hull took advantage, full back Mat Spendley scoring, Puckering again adding the extras.

East struck back on the hour, a grubber kick to the in-goal on the last by Selmes was pounced on by Dootson to give East a chance of the comeback.

But the home team held out and Matty Brookes scored ending East’s chances of catching up. Puckering again adding the goal. 42-20.

East’s efforts were rewarded on the stroke of time when Shaun McDonald crossed on the back of good work by Dainty.

Final score East Hull 42 Leigh East 24.

This Saturday East are at home to Saddleworth Rangers (2.30pm ko)