Dewsbury 18 Leigh Centurions 40

Martyn Ridyard kicked the goals in the win over Dewsbury. Photo: Paul McCarthy
Martyn Ridyard kicked the goals in the win over Dewsbury. Photo: Paul McCarthy

Leigh scored four tries in nine second half minutes to kill off a determined Dewsbury side at the Tetley’s Stadium.

On a day when Bradford, Batley and Featherstone all lost in the Championship, Neil Jukes’ side took full advantage to go clear at the top of the table.

Leigh produced the match defining spell midway through the second half when Ben Reynolds, Liam Kay, Cory Paterson and Richard Whiting all touched down and Martyn Ridyard, making his 200th appearance for the club, converted them all.

Leigh made a strong start, dominating the early exchanges and scoring twice through Sam Hopkins in the 11th and 15th minutes. Both were set up by dummy half passes from Higham and both were converted by Ridyard.

But the home side responded well and with 14 minutes of the half remaining they capitalised on a sustained spell of pressure with a try from Luke Adamson from close range. Paul Sykes added the conversion.

Sykes also kicked a penalty seven minutes before the break after he was taken late after a kick to the corner. It seemed a strange call given the amount of pressure Leigh were under.

Dewsbury blew a great chance to score a second try when Glover got away but his pass infield was gratefully intercepted by Whiting.

The second half took a while to get going following a lengthy hold-up for an injury to Centurions forward Harrison Hansen. After around 10 minutes, Hansen was stretchered off but Jukes later revealed the player was sat up and chatting shortly after.

Leigh were reduced to 12 men in the 51st minute following Gareth Hock’s sin-binning for an off the ball flare-up but they made light of their situation.

Dayne Weston, in possibly his best Leigh performance since signing from Melbourne Storm, made a powerful burst through the middle and the good work was continued by Higham before Reynolds finished off.

Leigh struck again four minutes later with Kay squeezing in at the corner after Lee Smith and Tom Armstrong combined.

Paterson barged in from close range with 12 minutes remaining and when Whiting powered over, Leigh were out of sight at 40-8.

Both sides were reduced to 12 with five minutes remaining after Jamie Acton of Leigh and Jason Crookes of Dewsbury were sin-binned for an off the ball altercation.

Dewsbury scored two tries in the dying moments through Dale Morton and Jack Teanby, the former converted by Sykes.



Smith, Higson, Armstrong, Whiting, Kay, Ridyard, Reynolds, Hopkins, Higham, Weston, Maitua, Hock, Paterson. Subs: Hood, Emmitt, Acton, Hansen


Guzdek, Morton, Crookes, Uaisele, Grant, Glover, Sykes, T Adamson, Speakman, Walker, Hale, Grady, Farrell. Subs: Teanby, L Adamson, Conroy, Trouty

Referee: S Ansell

Weather: Fine and dry

Pitch: Average

Attendance: 1691