Colts on fire

New Brighton Junior Colts 0 Tyldesley Junior Colts 18

Tyldesley moved to the top of the league after backing up last week’s fantastic win with yet another superb team performance.

A very good defensive display meant Tyldesley haven’t conceded a try in their last two games against the big two, as well as being the only side in the league to beat high flyers New Brighton on both occasions this season.

The visitors started brightly and continued to apply pressure giving their hosts no time on the ball, as they practically dominated the first 35, with New Brighton only testing the Tyldesley line once during the first half.

Constant pressure resulted in a penalty being awarded after five minutes, but regrettably it just sailed wide.

A great lineout throw from Norton enabled Mennell to take the ball cleanly. With all the forwards combining to produce a good driving maul, for Marsh too touch down for a good unconverted try three minutes later.

Swift handling and good backing up between all had New Brighton chasing shadows at times, again good pressure was rewarded with a well taken penalty by Gillbanks in the 19th minute, giving Tyldesley an eight point cushion.

Another strong scrum followed by some good rucking, enabled the ball to be shipped out by Redston, with Brindle crossing the line for a brilliant try, Gillbanks converted. Half time 0-15.

New Brighton competed far better during the second period, but as in the first half strong defending repelled everything that came Tyldesley’s way, with Bourke and Vose defending well out wide, while Fullback Unsworth directed well from the back.

With 15 minutes remaining, Ashmead, Gaskell, Prendergast and Pollard made good ground that led to another penalty being awarded. With Gillbanks stretching the lead to 18, giving Tyldesley their fifth consecutive league win.

Scorers: Tries: Marsh, Brindle. Conversion: Gillbanks 1. Penalties: Gillbanks 2

Top Tackler: backs, Fisher; forwards, Rushton. MoM: backs, Redston; forwards, Gillbanks.