Leigh mourn passing of former player, Albert Moore

Leigh RL news
Leigh RL news
Share this article

LEIGH Centurions were saddened to learn of the recent passing of their former player Albert Moore, aged 82 on December 3 2014.

Albert was born in Whitehaven in January 1932 and was a talented amateur player with Maryport before signing professional forms for Leigh. At 5ft5 and 10st 7 he was one of the smallest players in the side but was a valuable utility back who served Leigh well for four seasons, making 54 appearances, scoring 20 tries and kicking five goals.

He made a try-scoring first-team debut in a 22-11 victory at Belle Vue Rangers in January 1953, as wing partner to the great Australian centre Trevor Allan. By the end of that season he was given a run at stand-off, playing the last seven games as halfback partner to Brian Chadwick. Albert made 19 appearances in 1953-54, again alternating between wing and stand-off. With wingers of the calibre of Bill Kindon, Frank Kitchen and the Welshman Malcolm Davies competition for places was fierce, but it was no less strong at halfback with Chadwick, Bernard McGurrin, Harold Clough and Tommy Bradshaw all vying for a place.

Bizarrely in April 1954 Leigh played hosts to the touring Italy side and won an exhibition game 35-7 at Kirkhall Lane before a crowd of 5,000 spectators. The Italians were short-handed and so five Leigh players, including Albert and the Australian Rex Mossop played for the tourists!

In 1954-55 Albert made only five first-team appearances, including three at centre but he earned a regular place in the early months of the 1955-56 season and featured in all the rounds as Leigh reached the Lancashire Cup Final by defeating Lancashire County amateurs, Oldham and Barrow. The final was played at Central Park, Wigan on Saturday 15 October 1955 and Leigh’s 26-9 victory over Widnes was watched by a crowd of 26,509.

The Leigh side was: Ledgard; Kindon, Gullick, Moore, M Davies; Fleming, Chadwick; Barton, Tabern, Owen, Hurt, Martyn, Foster. Stan Owen, Bill Kindon, Don Gullick and John Barton scored Leigh’s tries with Jimmy Ledgard kicking seven goals. After a clever kick-ahead and chase by Moore Kindon scored a smart second half try.

One month later Albert was in the Leigh side defeated 43-18 by Warrington at Loftius Road in the final of the short-lived ITA Television Trophy.

He played his final match for Leigh on the right-wing in a 6-20 home defeat against St Helens in January 1956 watched by a crowd of 17,000.

In February 1956 he was transferred to Workington Town for a fee of £500 but he made only nine first-team appearances for Town, scoring four tries and kicking four goals.

He later played for Dewsbury before hanging up his boots.

Albert lived in Westleigh and after his professional career was over he worked as a painter and in a bookmaker’s and coached junior rugby league.