Kingstone Press Championship round 8 review: Centurions stay on top

Gareth Hock after scoring for Leigh against Workington. Photo: Brian King.
Gareth Hock after scoring for Leigh against Workington. Photo: Brian King.
Share this article

Gareth Hock marked his Leigh debut with a brace of tries as his side ran out comfortable 54-6 winners in Monday’s Kingstone Press Championship clash at Leigh Sports Village to extend their winning run to 19 games.

The former Wigan and England forward came on as a 11th-minute substitute for the table-topping Centurions - following a six-match ban after he was released from his contract at Salford in February - and crossed over just before the hour and again at the death.

Sean Penkywicz also scored a double with Adam Higson, Ryan Brierley, Liam Kay, Michael Platt and Greg McNally claiming a try apiece for the hosts, while Martyn Ridyard added the extras.

Workington made an early reply as Carl Forber cancelled out Penkywicz opener after 10 minutes, but they failed to build on their score for the remainder of the match.

Danny Addy scored a second-half brace as second-placed Bradford kept the pressure on at the top with a 30-16 win away to Dewsbury.

Bradford took the lead through Jay Pitts’ try before Etu Uaisele put them further ahead and Ryan Shaw added the extras, while Dale Morton converted his own try to reduce the deficit to 10-6 on the stroke of half-time.

The visitors went further ahead thanks to Lee Gaskell’s 44th-minute try which was cancelled out by Byron Smith’s effort for the Rams - with Shaw and Smith kicking the extras respectively.

Addy crossed over his double within the last eight minutes of the match before Jason Crookes’ effort at the death for the hosts reduced the deficit.

Two points further back in fourth, London Broncos held on to record a 25-18 win at home to Batley after taking an 18-0 half-time lead.

Matt Garside, Daniel Harrison, Ben Hellewell and Elliot Minichella scored a try apiece for the hosts, with Wes Naiqama adding the extras and Oscar Thomas on target with a late drop goal.

While Sean Hesketh crossed over either side of Wayne Reittie’s effort - Cain Southernwood converting all three goals - as the Bulldogs mounted a fightback in the second half.

Halifax recorded their fourth win of the season as they saw off Hunslet 32-24 thanks to tries from Ben Heaton, Chris Taylor, Steve Tyrer, Scott Murrell and James Saltonstall after Alex Brown had set them on their way early on - Tyrer and Murrell kicking two conversions each.

The Bulldogs, who were on the back foot for majority of the match after Jimmy Watson crossed over their second try, saw Rob Mulhern, Luke Briscoe and Vinny Finigan also go over with Simon Brown adding the extras to leave them two points further back in the table.

At the bottom of the standings, second-bottom Whitehaven sealed their second win this term with a 41-16 victory over basement boys Doncaster.

Craig Calvert, Ed Chamberlain and Scott McAvoy claimed a brace each and Tyla Hepi crossed over after 32 minutes for Whitehaven, who saw John Paul Brocklebank add the extras and add a late drop goal.

Lowly Doncaster, still looking for their first win this season, saw Danny Nicklas, Peter Fox and Ben Reynolds record a try apiece with Dave Scott adding two conversions at the Recreation Ground.

In Monday night’s late game, the Sheffield Eagles claimed a comfortable 33-4 victory away to Featherstone.

Menzie Yere scored a try in each half as Scott Turner, Quentin Togagae, Misi Taulapapa and Pat Walker got one apiece, while Michael Knowles scored a late drop goal and Walker added the extras.

The hosts’ only score came through Will Sharp’s 61st-minute try as they remain in the bottom half of the table, while the win sees the Eagles move back level on points with second-placed Bradford.