United teen makes immediate impact at Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers
Bolton Wanderers

Bolton boss Neil Lennon saluted Saidy Janko as the Manchester United teenager marked his Sky Bet Championship debut with a match-turning goal.

With the score at 1-1 and just 10 minutes remaining, the 19-year-old Swiss-born prospect rifled home a superb 25-yard strike.

Janko, whose loan move was only officially completed on the morning of the game, also provided an assist for captain Eidur Gudjohnsen as Wanderers won their first league game against their visitors since February 2007.

Cardiff City’s on-loan striker Adam Le Fondre then opened his Trotters goal account at the third time of asking, seizing on goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli’s terrible clearance to complete a convincing comeback win for the Lancastrians.

“You would like to think (Janko) was happy but you never know with him because he is so level-headed,” said Lennon.

“But he assists one and scores a miraculous goal really. Saidy has looked forward to this experience though he was a bit tentative when he first came in. You could see that in the first 20 minutes.

“But once he got up and running he was fine. The assist for the goal gave him a huge lift and with young players it is all about confidence.

“In the second half he put the turbos on and really gave Fulham a lot of problems. He has only had one or two sessions with us but he played last week for United’s under-21s so in terms of match-fitness and conditioning he was up to speed.

“He tired towards the end, which was understandable, but he can be very satisfied with his debut.”

Fulham are now without a win in five games and manager Kit Symons was disappointed after Shaun Hutchinson gave his team a 21st-minute lead.

“In the first half I thought we played some really good stuff and were far the better team,” he said.

“We should have come in leading quite comfortably but then concede a poor goal.

“Even then, if we approach the second half in the same manner we would be fine. But we just sat off them for some reason.

“We looked nervous on the ball, couldn’t keep possession and when we did win it on the edge of our box we just kicked it rather than passing it out and we never got going.

“We weathered the storm after they won a lot of corners and had a lot of pressure. Even then we felt we could hang onto something.

“But it was just disappointing. As good as I felt we were in the first half, the dominant side, they were miles better in the second.

“The second goal was a turning point for me. The ball is not quite running for us at the moment. We are breaking and it hits the referee and comes back to them.

“But even then we had a lot of bodies behind the ball. These little things are going against us.

“it was a mistake for the third one from Marcus but I couldn’t see us scoring. We didn’t have a shot on target in the second half.”