Centurions maintain perfect start to stay top

Leigh players congratulate Liam Kay after his first try at Featherstone. Photo: Brian King
Leigh players congratulate Liam Kay after his first try at Featherstone. Photo: Brian King

Leigh completed their second win in eight days over big rivals Featherstone to maintain their 100 per cent record and open up a five-point lead in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Half-back Ryan Brierley put the finishing touches to a 29-10 victory at the Bigfellas Stadium with a late drop goal and his 18th try of the campaign as the Centurions followed up their win over the Yorkshiremen in the Challenge Cup.

Liam Kay had earlier scored two tries for the visitors and others came from Cameron Pitman and Gregg McNally, while Martin Ridyard kicked four goals.

Scotland international Ben Hellewell’s 11th-minute try had given Rovers the lead but they had to until the final minute for their next try from Andy Kain.

Lee Waterman scored a hat-trick of tries as Doncaster took advantage of Featherstone’s third defeat of the season to climb to second place with a 30-28 win over Bobbie Goulding’s Barrow.

The bottom-of-the-table Cumbrians were on course to give Goulding his first win as coach when two tries from Ryan Shaw and others from Mick Govin, Max Wiper and Niall Evalds put them into a 28-18 lead after 50 minutes.

But David Scott struck twice in the last 15 minutes to restore Doncaster’s lead and Stewart Sanderson took his goal tally to five as they clinched a sixth win of the season.

Halifax lost ground on the leaders when Workington’s Carl Forber kicked a penalty seconds from the end to hold them to a 20-20 draw at Derwent Park.

Phil Veivers’ men were on course for their first win in six matches when they led 18-14 after Marc Shackley touched down four minutes from the end, to add to earlier tries from Wigan duo Jack Murphy and Dom Manfredi.

However, Andy Bracek went over for Halifax’s fourth try a minute from the end, adding to earlier efforts from Ben Johnson, Keith Holden and Steve Tyrer, who edged the visitors in front with his third goal.

Workington’s neighbours Whitehaven also boosted their relegation fears with a 30-10 win at Batley.

Dave Woods’ men suffered a humiliating 34-0 home defeat by North Wales Crusaders a week ago but they dominated the Bulldogs from start to finish, with winger Shaun Ainscough scoring two tries and others coming from Chris Taylor, Craig Calvert and Jordan Hand.

Batley had led briefly through Lee Patterson’s early try but they had to wait until eight minutes from the end for recent signing Charlie Martin to score their second.

Crusaders failed to build on their big win over Whitehaven when they went down 56-6 at home to reigning champions Sheffield Eagles.

Full-back Quentin Laulu-Togagae and winger Scott Turner both scored hat-tricks for the Eagles, whose other tries came from Misi Taulapapa, Gareth Owen, Pat Walker and Menzie Yere, while Dominic Brambani kicked eight goals.

Crusaders’ only try came from Owain Griffiths early in the second half.

Challenge Cup quarter-finalists Keighley maintained their resurgence with a 40-20 win over Dewsbury, the highlight of which was a hat-trick of tries from experienced winger Richie Barnett.

The Cougars were dominant from the start with tries from Barnett, Luke Haigh and Ross Peltier, all converted by Danny Jones, giving them a 24-6 half-time lead.

Dewsbury threatened a fightback when Tommy Gallagher and Kieran Hyde added to Greg Scott’s first-half try but Paul White clinched the win for Keighley with a 63rd-minute try before Haigh and Stephen Nash traded scores just before the end.

Rochdale made the most of a fast start to run out 31-24 winners over fellow strugglers Swinton in the day’s other game at Spotland.

Shaun Robinson, Sean Casey, Jordan Case, Daniel Davies and Gareth Langley scored tries for Hornets, who led 22-0 at the break.

Tries from Joe Worthington , Richie Hawkyard and Anthony Bowman gave some respectability to the scoreline but a seventh defeat leaves the Lions deep in relegation trouble.