Centurions keep winning run going

Leigh players mob Jonny Pownall after his crucial try at Halifax. Photo: Brian King.
Leigh players mob Jonny Pownall after his crucial try at Halifax. Photo: Brian King.
Share this article

LEIGH stretched their winning run to 12 games with a hard fought success at Halifax.

Winger Liam Kay’s two tries in three minutes put the reigning champions on their way to an 18-6 win in dreadful conditions.

Substitute Ryan Maneely pulled a try back for the home side early in the side half and Steve Tyrer added the goal but the Centurions made sure of their second win in two games when Johnathan Pownall went over for their third try in the final minute and Martyn Ridyard kicked his third goal.

London Broncos - who go to Leigh on Sunday - suffered their first defeat in the Kingstone Press Championship when they went down 40-6 to Sheffield Eagles at Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium.

The Broncos conceded four tries in each half and, to compound their misery, had full-back Richard Mathers carried from the field on a stretcher before half-time.

The Eagles, who are using the Keepmoat as their home venue this year, led 20-0 at half-time thanks to tries from Michael Knowles, loan signing Jon Molloy, Quentin Laulu-Togagae and Kyle Briggs.

The Londoners pulled a try back through Welsh international Rhys Williams but Sheffield added further scores through Misi Taulapapa, Sam Smeaton, Dane Straugher and Scott Turner to run out comfortable winners.

Earlier, Featherstone came from 4-0 behind at half-time to beat Doncaster 13-6 in the first half of a double-header.

Boosted by four players on dual registration from Hull, Doncaster went ahead with Danny Cowling’s 10th-minute try but their only other score was a second-half penalty from Stewart Sanderson.

Nathan Chappell brought Rovers level early in the second half and Matt Ryan, playing on loan from Wakefield, scored a second try nine minutes from the end, with French international half-back Remi Marginet clinching victory with a late drop goal.

Stand-off Lee Gaskell scored a hat-trick of tries and kicked three goals as Bradford got off the mark with a 34-4 win over Whitehaven at Odsal.

Adrian Purtell, Jay Pitts and Adam Sidlow scored the Bulls’ other tries as they bounced back from their opening-day defeat at Leigh.

Papua New Guinea centre Jessie-Joe Parker scored the only try for Whitehaven, who are still looking for a new coach following the pre-season departure of Steve Deakin.

Batley also made it two wins out of two after overturning a 14-8 half-time deficit to beat Hunslet 26-14 at the South Leeds Stadium.

Tries from Jimmy Watson and Brad Brennan, plus three goals from Simon Brown, helped put the Hawks in a winning position.

Shaun Squires scored his fifth try in two games and James Craven also touched down before half-time to keep the visitors in touch while Anthony Nicholson, Shaun Ainscough and Wayne Reittie scored tries in the second half to see Batley home.

Workington’s home game against Dewsbury was postponed because of an unfit pitch at Derwent Park.