Centurions hold out for 23rd straight win

Liam Kay scores his third try for Leigh at Dewsbury.Photo:  Paul McCarthy Photography
Liam Kay scores his third try for Leigh at Dewsbury.Photo: Paul McCarthy Photography
Share this article

Dewsbury Rams 28 Leigh Centurions 32

LEIGH extended their club record breaking winning run to 23 games but they were given a huge scare by Dewsbury.

There appeared to be little to worry about for Paul Rowley’s side as they raced into a 22-6 lead.

But tries either side of half-time hauled the home team back into it and a Dalton Grant try eight minutes from the end had Leigh hanging on.

Another hat-trick for prolific winger Liam Kay was the highlight of a scratchy Leigh performance.

Dewsbury led in the third minute after Centurions were penalised for not standing square, Kieran Hyde kicking the goal.

Sam Barlow thought he had scored moments later but referee Dave Merrick pulled Leigh back for a forward pass.

The home side extended their lead in the eighth minute when Rob Spicer cut through after Centurions winger Adam Higson was cautioned for a high tackle.

Hyde was unable to convert and Leigh saw a second ‘try’ ruled out when Higson’s effort was ruled out for a forward pass.

Leigh were reduced to 12 men in the 18th minute after Barlow was yellow carded for dissent. But even with a man down, Centurions forced themselves level in the 23rd minute when Bob Beswick and Martyn Ridyard combined to send Kay over. Ridyard added the extras.

Centurions continued to dominate and went ahead moments later. Michael Platt was held up inches short before the ball was worked inside to Gregg McNally who cut through to score. Ridyard again added the extras.

The turnaround was complete when Leigh scored twice in three minutes to race into a 22-6 lead. Ridyard and McNally linked to send Kay over before Ridyard went 60 metres after intercepting a loose pass.

But Dewsbury gave themselves some hope with a try from Karl Pryce moments before the break. The home side scored again nine minutes into the second half. Grant was on the end of some fine passing to score out wide and Brett Seymour converted from the touchline.

Leigh reopened a two score lead in the 54th minute when Greg Worthington was quickest to react to a kick over the top from Kay. Ridyard again added the extras.

Luke Adamson scored in the hour for the Rams and with Seymour again goaling, Leigh’s lead was cut to 28-22.

But within three minutes, centurions responded with Kay sealing his hat-trick with a try out wide which Ridyard could not improve.

The home side refused to give in and a Grant try eight minutes from the end, again converted by Seymour, had Leigh nervously hanging on.

But it was Leigh who produced the stronger finish and were unlucky to see a try for Ridyard chalked off for a forward pass.


Leigh: McNally, Higson, Worthington, Platt, Kay, Ridyard, Brierley, Spencer, Beswick, Aspinwall, Haggerty, Goulden, Barlow. Subs: Wilkes, Acton, Dixon, Emmitt

Dewsbury: Hyde, Morton, Beckett, Pryce, Grant, Seymour, Thackeray, Hepworth, Hemingway, Jackson, Spicer, T Adamson, L Adamson. Subs: Aizue, Smith, Brown, Wildie

Attendance: 1,551

Pitch: Good

Referee: Dave Merrick

Weather: Dry and bright