Residents on a street in Leigh are being warned about burning rubbish after fire crews had to attend a spate of incidents.
Firefighters from Atherton station were called to Melrose Avenue three times on Sunday, bringing the total number of incidents there to eight in the space of four days.
Crews were called to fires on the field behind the houses at 4pm and 10.15pm on Sunday and say most of the blazes have been caused by people burning grass or other objects.
Firefighters are now pleading with residents in the area to dispose of waste correctly, saying the constant call-outs to the area ties up fire engines which may be needed elsewhere for emergencies.
Watch manager Dave Holden said: “We had three separate rubbish fires at the back of the avenue. We’re not quite sure exactly what the problem is but we are getting a lot of what we call secondary fires.
“They mostly seem to be grass fires, although we had someone burning off sheathing from wiring too.
“The problem with us attending secondary fires is that they are completely preventable and stop the nearest fire engines from going to real emergencies because they are tied up at the rubbish fires.
“There are adequate recycling plants all over the area and people should take their rubbish there.”