Warning after tumbledryer fire

Share this article

A CLOGGED-up tumble dryer caught fire in a Leigh property.

Fire crews were called to the semi detached bungalow in Johnson Close at 7.30pm on Monday after a tumble dryer had set on fire in the bedroom.

A woman in her 20s was in the house at the time and after being alerted by a neighbour, left the premises.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used jets to extinguish the flames.

Watch commander Martin White said: “The possible cause was a build up of dust and fluff in the filter of the tumble dryer.

“That is quite common and we need to make people aware of the potential dangers of not cleaning out your tumble dryer.

“We also advise that they not be sited in the bedroom.”

The fire caused a lot of devastation to the bedroom and smoke damage to the rest of the house.