Thug is jailed for two vicious street attacks

Liverpool Crown Court
Liverpool Crown Court
Share this article

A YOUNG man involved in two attacks in the town has been jailed for three years.

Jordan West, who has previous convictions, was told by a judge: “You are a violent young man.”

I am told you want to change. You need to otherwise you will get longer sentences

Judge Anil Murray

Judge Anil Murray also said to 22-year-old West, from Leigh: “I am told you want to change. You need to otherwise you will get longer sentences.”

He said that West has a binge drinking problem and added “I hope you grow up,”

Liverpool Crown Court heard that the first incident happened on November 9 last year and involved two other young men.

Andrew Sinker, prosecuting, said that the victim, Jonathan Tobias, went out drinking with some friends in Leigh to celebrate his birthday then onto the Vogue night club with a female friend.

“He had been there for about three hours before he left to walk for a taxi and he felt a thump at the back of his head

Macauley Caldwell had punched him and Danny Barrett took a swing and missed. West then punched him to the head and Barrett punched him again when he was on the floor.

West came and kicked him twice as he was on the floor before being dragged away.

The trio walked away but were tracked down via CCTV footage, said Mr Sinker.

The victim suffered two lumps to his head, a grazed elbow, bruising and bloodshot eyes.

The court heard that on Christmas Day West attacked another man breaking his jaw in two places and ruining his festive season.

The victim, Daniel Goulden, left Leigh town centre in the early hours of the morning and walked to Railway Road to a cash point.

West saw him and shouted he would punch his skull in and after Mr Goulden turned round West punched him to the face and then ran off.

The victim got a taxi home but had to go to hospital where it was found he had two fractures to his jaw and had to be on a fluid only diet initially and he said it wrecked his Christmas.

While in hospital he spotted West on a friend’s Facebook page and told the police.

When interviewed about both incidents West made no comment.

West, formerly of Gadfield Grove, Atherton, 21-year-old Barrett and Caldwell, 19, all pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm. West, who has three previous convictions for wounding, also pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Barrett, who has no previous convictions, of Laxey Road, Leigh and Caldwell, of Lawford Close, Crewe were both sentenced to 12 months detention suspended for two years and ordered to carry out 200 hours’ unpaid work and pay £500 compensation.

The court was told that West, of Pennington Square, Leigh, has made significant changes to his life. His partner is pregnant and upon his release he wants to get a stable job and settle down.