Sparks fly when child puts keys in microwave

Firefighters from Leigh attended
Firefighters from Leigh attended
Share this article

A family had a lucky escape after a child placed keys inside a microwave and turned it on.

Sparks started flying once the microwave was switched on by the five-year-old boy at the house on Thames Avenue in Pennington.

Luckily a smoke alarm alerted the family and they were able to get outside to safety.

The microwave was damaged, but a fire did not develop from the sparks.

Firefighters from Leigh were called at around 2pm today and carried out a safety check at the house.