Smoke pouring from window alerted resident to fire in her home

Firefighters spent two-and-a-half hours at the house

A bedroom was badly damaged when a blaze broke out in a house this afternoon.


A woman saw smoke coming from a window when she returned to her semi-detached home on Hillcrest Avenue, Westleigh, at around 3.30pm.

She discovered the fire and called the emergency services.

Firefighters from Leigh, Hindley and Atherton stations attended and spent two-and-a-half hours tackling the blaze and removing debris.

The bedroom was seriously damaged by the fire while other parts of the house were smoke-damaged.

Howard Denton, watch manager at Leigh fire station, said the probable cause of the blaze was smoking materials.

Crews gave fire safety advice to the woman and her neighbours.

More from News