Sleeping man rescued from fire

Fire crews attended a blaze in Beeston Grove, Leigh
Fire crews attended a blaze in Beeston Grove, Leigh
Share this article

FIRE crews awoke and rescued a man who was asleep whilst a fire had started outside his flat.

As smoke and flames were touching the front door of a flat in Beeston Grove, Higher Folds, Leigh, at 3am on Friday, crews were able to enter and wake the 43-year-old, who had consumed alcohol, and lead him to safety.

The fire had started deliberately in an outbuilding at the side of the flat, causing damage to the building.

The flames had also charred the front door and melted pipes.

The man was not injured but had slight smoke inhalation.

Crew manager James Howard said: “The fire was very close to the front door and some smoke was filtering inside.

“The occupier was asleep and did not hear his smoke alarm going off. We shined a torch at his bedroom, and then we got inside as the door was not locked. We awoke the man and brought him out. He was advised to go to hospital but he refused.

“Crews were there for two hours and we used a hose reel to extinguish the flames.

“The fire was started deliberately and police are investigating it.”