Sisters’ fear at hammer thug terror

Crime story
Crime story
Share this article

A THUG who assaulted a teenager and her older sister in a fit of rage before threatening to enter their home with a hammer has been jailed.

Andrew Williams, from Golborne, unleashed a foul-mouthed tirade while raising his hand twice to the 15-year-old girl and pushing her sister on to a bike he had thrown to the kitchen floor in an incident at the house they shared with their mother, who is also his partner.

Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court heard Williams, of Legh Street, then picked up a hammer and began waving it above his head while kicking and hitting the back door, before doing the same to the front door of the property.

Sentencing him to 20 weeks in jail the bench told him the offences were so serious only an immediate spell behind bars could be justified, saying his actions during the 10-minute incident in April had terrified the occupants of the house.

Katie Beattie, prosecuting, told the court the incident began at around 6.30pm when he began arguing with Bonnie Hodson about a tattoo before raising his hands but stopped short of hitting her.

Mrs Beattie said the argument became more heated when her sister Charlotte asked him what was happening, with Williams, 44, swearing repeatedly and throwing objects including a bicycle to the ground.

He then grabbed Charlotte and pushed her backwards, causing her to stumble over the bike, injuring her left arm and elbow.

After being backed out of the house Williams then picked up a hammer and threatened those inside, finally leaving the property after being given his three-year-old granddaughter, a tablet computer and some clothes.

In her statement Charlotte told police Williams, who initially denied the two assault charges but changed his plea before trial, had acted “like a man possessed”.

Mrs Beattie said: “He accepts name calling and swearing in front of the whole family, including two young children.

“He initially claimed he acted only in self defence once Charlotte got close to him, but has now pleaded guilty to the full facts alleged by the crown.”

Glen Wrigley, defending, said his client knew his actions had been an unacceptable way to deal with the situation.

Mr Wrigley said: “This is clearly a very fractious household but he recognises he should have just walked away. Had he left the house a lot of this would not have happened.

“His concern was for his granddaughter. He wanted to get her and get out, but wasn’t allowed that opportunity as he was being backed towards the door.

“However, he went about it in completely the wrong way and this is an incident he does regret.”

The magistrates sentenced him to 20 weeks in prison but said this would be reduced to 16 weeks for each of the assaults, with the two running concurrently.