RSPCA probe into kennel nears end

Share this article

THE investigation into a Wigan kennel which came under fire after a dog suffered horrific injuries could be nearing completion.

Back in August Gary Fish had entrusted border collie cross Rex into the care of Woodshaw Kennels at Manor House Farm in Aspull for seven days.

But when he came to collect him, he found Rex’s tail was covered in congealed blood.

The Ashton 50-year-old rushed him to the vets, who decided they had no option but to put him down.

It has been suggested two Jack Russells in an adjoining pen reached under a partition and pulled at Rex’s tail. It is believed staff attempted to treat him with anti-septic spray.

Wigan Council and RSPCA opened up a joint investigation, and a post-mortem examination was conducted in September, which showed Rex died of injuries which were a few days old.

But while the RSPCA was unable to offer any information on the investigation Mr Fish seemed hopeful a verdict would be reached soon.

He said: “As far as I know the reports by the inspector, vet and pathologist has been passed to the RSPCA’s legal department.

“I have not seen the post-mortem results but I was told that the wounds were a few days old.

“I should be hearing something pretty soon.

“The RSPCA said the delay was due to the fact that people were on holiday and other cases which were ahead of Rex’s had to be dealt with.

“I can’t pre-empt what the RSPCA is going to say as nothing is 100 per cent but I hope they will be taking action.”

A spokesman for the RSPCA said: “The case file is with is the RSPCA prosecutions department. We should have an update soon.”

Rex’s death sparked a media sensation when Mr Fish’s son, David, posted photos and details of their pet’s injuries.

A petition was set up to close Woodshaw Kennels, owned by George Marsden, which had more than 28,000 signatures.

Following the story, dozens of other pet owners contacted the Evening Post with their terrible experiences.

A spokesman for Woodshaw Kennels said the owners were upset about what had happened and caring for animals was the reason they went into business.

They added: “We have invited the local authority, RSPCA and police to inspect our facilities and ensure standards are maintained.”