Rescue after flat fills with smoke

Priestfields, in Leigh. From Google Maps
Priestfields, in Leigh. From Google Maps
Share this article

A MAN was rescued by firefighters after he fell asleep, leaving a pan of food unattended.

Crews led the 58-year-old to safety from his smoke-filled flat in Priestfields, Leigh, at 10pm on Monday.

He was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics but did not need to go to hospital.

Watch manager Mick Callan said: “The occupier of the flat had fallen asleep whilst cooking eggs and it had boiled dry and filled the apartment with smoke.

“His alarm was not working, but luckily people in the flat above could smell smoke and called the fire service.

“I would warn people to ensure they have working smoke alarms as they could save a life. Luckily the man escaped unharmed. There was no fire damage - just a lot of smoke.”