What happens next and what support is in place for those leaving Parliament?

Jo Platt
Jo Platt

MPs from across the House of Commons - including Jo Platt in Leigh - have lost their seats, and, along with their staff, are now facing redundancy.

Who manages what happens next?

James Grundy, new MP for Leigh, celebrates with family and friends

James Grundy, new MP for Leigh, celebrates with family and friends

The processes for MPs and their staff leaving Parliament is managed by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

The organisation was established in 2010, following the MPs expenses scandal, and regulates MPs' pay and pension, as well as their business costs and expenses.

What is a winding up budget?

All MPs departing the Commons are given a lump sum of money to help them pay any expenses called the Winding Up Budget.

London area MPs will get £57,150, and those outside London £53,950 to cover their costs during the "winding up period", which lasts from Friday December 13 until February 29 2020.

Items MPs can claim under the fund include office rent, travel between their constituency and London during the winding up period, stationery, and removal costs.

All leaving MPs also get an additional winding-up payment, equivalent to two months' worth of salary, net of tax and National Insurance contributions.

What is a loss of office payment?

Departing members will receive their final MP salary payment on December 31, covering December 1 - 12, but most will then also receive a loss of office payment too, equivalent to twice their statutory redundancy pay.

This payment is only available to MPs if they are not re-elected after standing in the same seat they must have previously represented for at least two years.

These rules mean that this time around, a number of long-standing MPs will not get the money.

Politicians such as Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger, who switched parties, and then constituencies before this election and then lost, do not meet the requirements for the loss of office payment, despite both serving nearly a decade in Parliament.

What happens to Parliamentary staff?

The staff of any MPs who have lost their seat will have to be made redundant.

Staff members can be employed up to August 8, and the winding up budget will cover any salary payments, and money handed over in lieu of notice and any outstanding holiday.

Any staff who have worked for their MP for two years or more will also be entitled to a statutory redundancy payment.