TWO pet hamsters were revived by fire crews who also rescued a pet dog called ... Lucky.
Off-duty firefighter Gareth Ellis raised the alarm after spotting smoke on his way back home after finishing a shift.
Three engines from Atherton and Leigh stations arrived and were breaking into the house to search the property, resident Julie Hughes and her children Greg, 15, and Bethany, 13, were returning to the house in St George’s Road, Tyldesley.
Julie said: “I just abandoned my car and we were all really worried about Lucky.”
Atherton GMFRS Watch Manager Ian Gardener said: “The young lad came round the front of our fire engine and was very worried about their pet dog. When the lads brought him out he was black because he was covered in soot.
“We found him cowering in the kitchen, which is where the fire started behind the washing machine.
“To say he was lucky is an understatement so his name is very apt indeed.”
Crews then found a pet hamster inside a cage in the kitchen.
Mr Gardner said: “To be honest, the hamster was completely motionless so we thought it was dead.
“All the animals had taken in a lot of smoke.
“We got another hamster out of an upstairs bedroom and it was unconscious as well – both looked like they were goners.
“We made a make-shift oxygen tent out of a small plastic bag and gave both hamsters a small amount of oxygen and they both came round.
“We didn’t think it was going to work, but it did and the kids were really happy.”
Mrs Hughes said: “I just want to thank the firefighters so much they saved the dog’s life, and the hamster’s. “One of them was in the kitchen and her water bottle on the cage had melted, I just don’t know how they survived it so I’m so grateful to the firefighters.
“I’m just counting my lucky stars because I usually have the washing machine on at night, things could have been so different.”