Petition calls for action as more cats die

Alia with her pet cat Sky, of Westleigh. Sky died after ingesting antifreeze
Alia with her pet cat Sky, of Westleigh. Sky died after ingesting antifreeze

A local vet has issued a warning over leaving antifreeze out in the open after two cats met horrible deaths.

Jon Hart, owner of Atherton Veterinary Centre, said two felines died after ingesting the sweet-tasting liquid in Westleigh.

If people are deliberately putting antifreeze out they need to understand that these are our pets. Cats do go in people’s gardens, but that is no excuse to poison them

Faisal Hazza

He is now urging people to dispose of the antifreeze correctly.

Each year Antifreeze preparations (including screen washes) kill thousands of domestic pets.

Mr Hart said said: “Both cats presented in the same way, with severe kidney problems. The most likely cause is antifreeze. But the problems is we can’t answer whether it was accidental or malicious.

“It is unfortunate as cats roam quite a distance and it is difficult where it could have been picked up.

“But there were two cats in close proximity.

“My advice is if people have been working on their cars and are draining off coolant to make sure they dispose of it immediately as, sadly, cats and dogs will drink it. If it is malicious, I will say that cats don’t die peacefully - they are horrible deaths. It is downright cruel.”

A petition has been set up on a website urging for the ban of the toxic substances unless they contain a bitterant.

One owner who lost his cat is Faisal Hazza, of Pickley Court. His two-year-old pet, Sky, had to be put down after drinking antifreeze.

He said: “Sky looked like she was drunk and her back legs were going. She could not stand up very well.

“I took her to the veterinary centre and he found she had problems with her kidneys.

“He said a few cats in the area had to be put down with the same thing. It is most likely to be antifreeze. My five-year-old daughter, Alia, is heartbroken. If people are deliberately putting antifreeze out they need to understand that these are our pets. Cats do go in people’s gardens, but that is no excuse to poison them.

The RSPCA also advises people on ensuring they check their cars regularly to ensure it isn’t leaking water coolant.

They urge people to:

Take care storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant.

Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.

Clean up spills immediately, no matter how small.

Always dispose of antifreeze and water coolant safely and responsibly.

If in doubt, contact Wigan Council for advice; see www.wigan.gov.uk

To sign the petition visit www.antifreeze-kills.co.uk/do-something