Mud rescue drama for Max and Adam

L-R: Adam Lister, Stef Mountford (Max's aunty) and Max Mountford after the two boys were trapped in mud for four hours
L-R: Adam Lister, Stef Mountford (Max's aunty) and Max Mountford after the two boys were trapped in mud for four hours
Share this article

TWO teenagers from Tyldesley were rescued after being stuck in thick mud for around four hours.

Max Mountford and Adam Lister, both 14, were playing on land off Wharton Lane in Little Hulton when they became trapped in thick, clay-like mud on Monday evening.

The two boys had been walking when Adam slipped into the mud and couldn’t free himself, then Max became trapped whilst attempting to free his friend.

Two girls who passed the scene initially tried to help, but had to call the fire service.

Crews from Farnworth and Eccles went to the remote area, known locally as Bluebell, and the Water Incident Unit used a board to create a platform in the mud from which the two boys could be pulled to safety, in an operation lasting around half an hour. They were treated at the scene by trauma technicians and paramedics before being rushed to hospital in Bolton.

Adam said: “It’s where I used to go with my granddad when I was little. I was jumping over some rocks and I just slipped and sunk into the mud.

“I thought I could get out but I was stuck. After a bit I was panicking because the mud was up to my belt. I was really worried.”

Max said: “I tried to help Adam by standing on the rocks and pulling him out but I kept slipping back. Then my foot got stuck and I started to realise that I was going under too.

“I was twisting my ankle so I couldn’t get out.”

Relieved parents today told of their relief at their sons’ narrow escape, and praised the response of the emergency services.

Max’s mum Karen Mountford, 43, said: “I felt sick when the fire service said the boys were trapped. The crews did a fantastic job. They risked their own lives to help the boys.

“The firefighters and the consultant at the hospital both told me that if they had been there overnight they would be dead.

“The boys were both shocked and it frightened them good and proper. I just hope this incident will warn others of the dangers.”

Fire service group manager Tony Lander said: “Playing near water and boggy ground is so dangerous. All too quickly you can get in to difficulties and find it difficult to get out due to steep or slippery banks and sometimes the consequences can be tragic.

“Please don’t take the risk – don’t go into boggy areas or water.”