Men injured in horror crash

The scene of a crash between a Mercedes Sprinter and Peugeot 307 on Castle Hill Road, Hindley
The scene of a crash between a Mercedes Sprinter and Peugeot 307 on Castle Hill Road, Hindley
Share this article

A MOTORIST with multiple fractures had to be cut from the wreckage of his car after a late-night horror crash.

His Peugeot 307 was in collision with a Mercedes Sprinter van at the junction of Castle Hill Road and Castle Hill Park, Hindley, shortly after midnight yesterday.

The latter vehicle ended up on its side. Its driver, despite suffering chest pains, managed to scramble clear. But the driver of the car was stuck fast across his seat, the passenger seat and the footwell.

He had suffered fractures to his legs, an arm and a hand.

White Watch from Hindley station were supported by fire crews from Wigan and the specialist RTA unit from Ashton-under-Lyne, finally managed to get the man free after an hour-long operation.

Crew Commander Craig Cubbins said: “After assessing the situation we decided to leave the vehicle’s roof on and firefighters used cutting equipment to remove both doors so that he could be freed that way. He remained conscious throughout while paramedics stabilised his condition.

“Residents must have been woken by the sound of the impact because there was quite a crowd gathered on the pavement. They were very supportive and as we arrived we could see they were comforting the van driver.

“It is not for us to apportion blame at this stage but it was clear that there must have been quite an impact between the two vehicles.”

Reader Miles Bellas captured this image of the scene as emergency service personnel sealed off the road and stretchered the stricken car driver to an ambulance.

A police spokesman confirmed that a collision had taken place at 12.10am between ther white Mercedes and silver Peugeot and that while the two drivers both needed hospital treatment and the car driver had suffered multiple fractures, neither’s condition was life-threatening.

Meanwhile several hours earlier there was disruption for rail commuters after engineers found mortar on the line at Ince Green Lane, Ince.

Fearing it may have come from the bridge there, Network Rail closed the line between Wigan and Bolton as a precaution shortly before 6pm. The 17.06 Manchester Airport to Southport train was stopped at Hindley and the 17.17 Manchester Victoria to Kirkby service was also held up for an hour while an inspector gave the bridge the all-clear. At first the closure was wrongly attributed to a road smash on the bridge.