Man sent back to jail after harassing partner

editorial image
Share this article

A MAN has been sent back to prison after admitting harassing his partner.

Joshua Spencer was ordered to serve the remainder of a sentence he had been given for assaulting the same woman and the couple’s baby, who was four months old at the time.

Spencer, 23, pleaded guilty to one charge of criminal damage to the value of £200 and to harassment after going to his partners house three times in a 24 hour period at Wigan Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

The court heard that Spencer and the woman had been involved for around three years, on and off, but she had decided to break it off in the hope of her getting her baby, who had been taken into care following the earlier assault.

Katie Beattie, prosecuting, said: “Spencer has just served a custodial sentence for beating her up, breaking her cheek bone, seven of her teeth and biting her face.

“She was holding their four-month-old daughter and caused her to fracture her skull.”

She told the court that the woman had been told that if she broke up with Spencer she might get her baby back.

But on November 1 and 2 Spencer went round to her house on Upper Stephen Street, Wigan, and started banging on her door, shouting and screaming.

He left a short time later but returned in the early hours of the morning and then again at around 8am and tried to gain entry.

He broke a window and attempted to prise the door open with a screwdriver.

But Louise Barrow, defending, said that although Spencer admits the criminal damage and harassment, he disagreed with some of the claims in the statement provided by the victim.

She said: “He admits going round to her house on the three occasions but was worried that she was seeing a man which might stop her getting their child back.

“He admits he lost his temper and he regrets that. He has done everything asked of him since leaving prison and was hopeful that he would be able to see his daughter soon in supervised visits.

“He will now have to start this whole process again when he gets out.”

Spencer, of Wilkinson Street, Leigh, was given two months for each charge to run concurrently with the three months left on his original sentence.

He was also ordered to pay £150 court charges and an £80 victim surcharge and given a restraining order.