Man left fighting for life

editorial image

A MAN is fighting for his life after being found collapsed in the street.

Police described Andrew Ainsworth’s head wound as “life-threatening” but at present are not sure how he came to suffer it.

Paramedics had been called to attend to the sstricken 45-year-old in Kings Court, Tyldesley, on Tuesday afternoon and he was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital.

He has been treated for a gash to the scalp and bleed to the brain.

Mr Ainsworth was found near to the back of the Edge pub and Bella Pizza shop on Castle Street at around 2pm.

Police admitted today that it is so far unclear how he sustained his injuries and appealed to anyone who can help establish exactly what happened and Mr Ainsworth’s movements leading up to the incident to come forward.

Officers say they are aware that shortly before he was found, a dark-coloured car pulled up at Kings Court, which is off Market Street, an occupant got out of the car and then returned to the vehicle moments later before it drove off.

Officers from Wigan CID are keen to speak to the occupants of that car.

Det Chief Insp Howard Millington said: “It is unclear how Andrew has come to sustain what is a very significant head injury, but clearly his family are very distraught and want to know exactly what happened to him.

“We are keeping an open mind as to how Andrew sustained his injuries and it is important we piece together exactly what happened and give Andrew and his family the answers they need.

“I particularly want to speak to the occupants of the dark car that pulled up in the Kings Court/Castle Street area just before Andrew was found as they could have vital information.

“I also want to make a direct appeal to the community of Tyldesley to help us establish Andrew’s movements in the hours leading up to the incident itself. If you were with Andrew or know what happened, please call us. Andrew’s family need answers so you could be the key.”

Anyone with information should call police in Wigan on 0161 856 7295.