Man in hospital after flat blaze

News story
News story

A MAN is in hospital with severe symptoms of smoke inhalation and heat exposure after a flat fire in Atherton.

Fire crews were called to a ground-floor flat on Ashfield Avenue following reports someone was trapped inside the property just before 4pm on Thursday.

Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames, which were in the kitchen, before crews rescued a man from the property.

He was given oxygen therapy by a trauma technician before being treated by paramedics and taken to hospital, where his condition is unknown.

The fire service said he was suffering the effects of exposure to heat and had probably breathed in a considerable amount of smoke.

The incident was attended by crews from Wigan, Hindley and Farnworth, with an extra back-up vehicle from Farnworth also being requested by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

The extent of the damage to the flat is still unclear, and fire investigation officers visited the scene on Thursday evening to try to discover the cause of the blaze.