Man hospitalised after chip pan blaze

News story
News story
Share this article

A MAN was taken to hospital following a chip pan fire at his home.

The man, believed to be in his 50s, had left a chip fryer unattended in the kitchen of his terraced house in Etherstone Street, Leigh, shortly after 10pm on Saturday.

The blaze had spread, causing extensive damage to the kitchen and the rest of the house was heavily smoke logged.

The man had left the property and called the emergency services and he was taken to hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation.

His neighbour was also treated at the scene for shock.

Crews from Leigh, Atherton and Hindley attended, using breathing apparatus, hose reel and jets.

Watch manager Jim Clitheroe, of Leigh Fire Service, said: “This was quite a serious incident. This started as a chip fryer fire and had quickly escalated into a kitchen fire.

“The resident was at the front door when we arrived as he had evacuated the property.

“There was smoke coming from the front and back of the house and there was significant damage to the kitchen. Luckily the fire had not spread to the adjoining house.

“We warn people never to leave chip fryers, or pans of food unattended and to make sure they have working smoke alarms.

“If people are going to have chip fryers, I warn them to have thermostatic control so they can isolate themselves.”