Man falls fleeing fire

News story
News story
Share this article

A MAN suffered a fall as he scrambled to escape his kitchen which was on fire.

The 50-year-old was assisted by paramedics and firefighters from Atherton as he fled from his home in Kates Close, Hag Fold, at 8pm on Sunday.

The blaze started as a grill pan of food had been left burning. The damage was confined to the grill, causing some smoke.

As the man tried to escape he fell and broke the femur ball and socket joint of his pelvis. Paramedics took him to hospital.

Crew manager Dave Farrington, of Atherton Fire Service, said: “The man did not have working smoke alarms as he had taken them down. I need to stress the importance of having working smoke alarms as they can alert you to a fire and save lives.”