Lucky fire escape

editorial image

A WOMAN escaped unharmed when she accidently turned on a pan hob at her Leigh home.

The woman, who is in her 60s, inadvertently knocked the switch on the hob and moved into the living room, in Abbingdon Way.

A pan started smouldering, setting off the smoke detector, which alerted the woman at 12.40pm on Wednesday.

Mark Anderson, crew commander of Atherton Fire Service, said: “The blaze caused a bit of damage to the kitchen, but it was relatively small because a smoke alarm had been fitted.”