Hotel evacuated

Share this article

GUESTS and staff at a Leigh hotel were evacuated when an appliance overheated.

Firefighters from Leigh were called to The Greyhound Hotel on Warrington Road, Leigh during the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

An electrical fault had caused a tumble-dryer and at the hotel to overheat at around 2am.

Following safety procedures, guests and staff were evacuated while firefighters removed the appliance and made the place safe.

The blaze completely destroyed the tumble-dryer and filled the reception with thick smoke.

Two pumps remained at the incident for around 45 minutes and nobody was injured.

Everybody was allowed to return to their rooms within the hour.

Rebecca Walklett, business development manager said: “This was just a minor incident that occurred in the early hours of the morning.

“The tumble-dryer didn’t actually catch fire, it was just smoking.

“Nobody was injured. It was all over within 10 minutes.”