Get out and stay out fire message

editorial image
Share this article

RESIDENTS are being warned to get out and stay out in a fire.

A spokesman for Leigh Fire Service made the call after an elderly man attempted to put out a fire before waking up his wife and calling the emergency services.

An electrical fault with a dishwasher sparked a small fire in a semi-detached house in Johnson Close, Leigh, at 10am on Friday. A man in his 60s removed the dishwasher and called the fire service after alerting his wife.

The fire caused minor damage to the dishwasher and kitchen.

The man and his wife were taken to hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation.

For a free home fire risk assessment call 0800 555 815.