Garden drama

Share this article

A TEENAGER was taken to hospital after burning his hand while lighting a fire in his back garden.

The incident occurred when the 18-year-old was opening a petrol can at a semi-detached house in Oak Avenue, Leigh at noon yesterday.

Paramedics attended the scene of the accident before the man was taken by ambulance to Wigan Infirmary for treatment.

A Fire Brigade spokesman said it was suspected that the incident occurred while burning something in the garden, and that attempting to light the fire had caused a spark to leap up and burn his hand.

The spokesman added: “People don’t realise just how quickly petrol can burn.”