Family’s fury over ambulance delay

Margaret Freeborn in hospital after the accident
Margaret Freeborn in hospital after the accident
Share this article

AMBULANCE chiefs have apologised for leaving a pensioner bleeding in the road for almost two hours and say they will investigate why it happened.

Margaret Freeborn, 69, was walking to a ladies social evening at her local Methodist church when she was struck on a pelican crossing.

Emergency services were called and police shut the road but Mrs Freeborn’s family say paramedics did not turn up until 90 minutes later.

The great-grandmother lay in the road with cuts to her head, ligament damage to her legs and a broken nose, as concerned on-lookers tried to make her comfortable before her distraught son and daughter arrived on the scene from their nearby homes in Atherton.

The pensioner was going to a meeting at Bag Lane Methodist Church, when she was hit at around 7.50pm.

Tania added: “We were told an ambulance was allocated at 9.07pm but it did not arrive until about 9.20pm.”

Mrs Freeborn, who spent a week in hospital says she feels lucky to be alive. I was unconscious for a few minutes and when I came round I was in agony.

“I just waited and waited. I was bleeding quite badly and I was in a lot of pain.

“I think it’s disgusting. Someone could die needlessly if response times are so bad.”

Daughter Tania Freeborn-Hulme said: “A witness dialled 999 at once but nobody came. She was bleeding from her head and unconscious at first.

“It was devastating to see her. We are angry she could be left in pain all that time. The police arrived quickly but could only stop traffic.

“We were frantic because my mother was in agony. It was shocking. No-one came, no rapid response, no paramedics. No-one.

“In the end the police were apologising to us for the delay but it wasn’t their fault. We were stunned when we were told an ambulance hadn’t been allocated until 9.07pm and then it arrived at 9.20pm.

North West Ambulance Service said they got the call at 7.47pm and a crew arrived at 9.07pm.

A spokesman said: “We are sorry for any upset. We take complaints about our service seriously and would urge the patient or family to contact us so we can investigate the reasons behind the delay.”

A police spokesman said they were treating it as an accident and they would not be taking any action against the driver who was driving a yellow Nissan Juke.