Family of four escape from loft inferno

editorial image
Share this article

A FAMILY escaped unharmed following a fire in the loft of their Leigh home.

An electrical fault sparked a fire in the loft of the detached house in Hand Lane, in Pennington, at 2am on Thursday.

The blaze caused fire and smoke damage to the loft and ceiling and walls on the first floor.

The first floor was also heavily smoke logged.

A smoke alarm awoke the family of four, who called the fire service and evacuated the house, escaping injury.

Crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put out the flames.

Watch commander Iain Ronaldson said: “A smoke alarm saved them.”