Family flees house blaze

The scene of the house fire at Hill Crest Avenue, Leigh
The scene of the house fire at Hill Crest Avenue, Leigh
Share this article

A FAMILY had a lucky escape from a fire in their home in the early hours of the morning.

Firefighters were called to the property on Hill Crest Avenue, in Leigh, following reports of a fire at around 1.15am on Saturday.

The crews believe the fire was caused by heat radiating from the living room fire setting light to a cushion.

A man who was asleep in front of the fire woke and was alerted to the flames after smelling smoke.

He tried to throw the cushion out of the window but this caused the curtain to catch fire as well.

He then managed to alert the family sleeping upstairs and escorted two adults and a one-year-old boy safely out of the property. Firefighters from Leigh, Hindley and Farnworth battled the fire, while a 25-year-old was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Crew manager Craig Cubbins said: “When we arrived the windows were black with smoke and we could see flames through the window.

“The family were outside on the street and told us there was nobody inside.

“We went inside and extinguished the fire, made the scene safe and did a thorough search of the property - we managed to find their pet hamster which they were worried about.

“The whole family had a lucky escape as the smoke alarm in the property wasn’t working.

“Fortunately he had received some fire safety advice previously and his first priority was to get everyone out safely.”

The fire service is now encouraging residents to ensure their smoke alarms are working, and to speak to them about arranging for a free fitting if they do not own any detectors.

Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Coun David Acton, said: “Having a working smoke alarm gives you an early warning to a fire in your home.

“We encourage everyone to ensure their home has a smoke alarm and test it once a week to make sure it works.”

For further fire safety advice, visit the website