FIREFIGHTERS spent around four hours tackling a fire and gas explosion at a Westhoughton business.
Fire crews were called to a unit on Wingates Industrial Estate after a pile of pallets caught fire in a back yard at around 8.30pm on Tuesday evening.
The flames then heated a shipping container with 28 propane cylinders in it, with some of the cylinders exploding inside the container.
Fire engines from Hindley and Leigh, including an Emergency Rescue Unit (ERU) with specialist cutting equipment, joined crews from Horwich to battle the fire.
The explosion did not spread beyond the inside of the container as it was locked and sealed. No other properties were damaged in the incident, and there were no injuries.