Electrical fault sparks house fire

Fire service
Fire service
Share this article

A house was seriously damaged after a fire because of a suspected electrical fault.

Firefighters were called to Long Lane in Hindley Green at 1.45pm today (Thursday) after a blaze broke out in an upstairs bedroom of a terraced home.

The flames spread to the attic of the building causing significant damage. The bedroom was totally ruined.

Firefighters spent several hours at the scene bringing the fire under control and ensuring the building was safe. It’s not believed that anyone was inside at the time.

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Five fire engines and an aerial platform attended the incident.

“They found a fire in the back bedroom of a terraced house which spread to the attic.

“Crews used breathing apparatus and house reels to bring the fire under control.

“It appears to be accidental and it looks like the most likely cause is an electrical fault.

“There was 100 per cent damage to the bedroom by fire and the whole first floor was smoke damaged with water damage to the whole house.”