Drunk tried to hack off his pal’s toe

Toe target. Picture posed
Toe target. Picture posed
Share this article

AN alcoholic who tried to cut his friends toe off with a pair of scissors has pleaded guilty to assault.

Wigan and Leigh Magistrates heard how Bernard Talbot, 58, had been drinking at his friend’s house with two others on August 22 when he became aggressive.

This is four drunks getting drunk as they do every day

Bill Pearson, defending

He is said to have called his victim by a variety of names before grabbing him by the throat and shouting that ‘he was going to cut his toes off one by one’.

Katie Beattie, prosecuting, said: “Talbot went into the kitchen to get a knife and tried to cut Mr Slack’s right big toe.

“The victim said Talbot didn’t cause a large cut but there was quite a lot of blood. He can’t remember much but thinks the other people there must have pulled Mr Talbot off him.”

A witness to the attack described in a statement that the victim had been sat on the couch when Talbot grabbed his right leg and lifted it up before starting to cut at the toe.

Talbot, of Withington Lane, Aspull, continued his attack on the victim, causing him to pass out, until the police were called.

He admitted when being interviewed by police that everyone had been very drunk and he did grab the victim by the throat but can’t remember anything else, which he put down to the drink.

The police officer who arrived in the scene described seeing a lot of blood on the carpet and a pair of kitchen scissors nearby on the floor.

Bill Pearson, defending, said: “This is four drunks getting drunk as they do every day.

“The complainant in this case had been admitted to hospital twice on that day already due to drink and had discharged himself on both occasions.

“He thought his friend his friend had attacked him with a knife and not a pair of scissors. he doesn’t remember having been admitted to hospital on either occasion on that day.”

Talbot pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and will appear at Liverpool Crown Court on October 14 for sentencing.