Danger of smoking in bed

Share this article

FIRE crews in Leigh were called to a house in Prince’s Gardens after a cigarette sparked a bedroom fire.

One woman was taken to Wigan Infirmary suffering from smoke inhalation as a result of the incident.

Crews from Leigh and Atherton were called to the semi-detatched property at around 1am on Tuesday.

The blaze started in the bedroom, which was severely damaged as a result of the incident.

The occupant, an elderly woman, managed to get out of the house after being alerted by a smoke alarm. Crews used four breathing apparatus and three jets to bring the fire under control. Other rooms in the house were subject to smoke damage. Oxygen was given to the woman before she was taken to hospital.

Jim Bridge, Red Watch commander at Leigh Fire Station warned against smoking in bed. He said: “We had fitted a smoke alarm to the premises on a previous occasion so it could have been more serious.

“Smoking in bed is extremely dangerous and we advise everyone not to do it.”