Couple rescued from flat fire

A view along Richmond Drive, Leigh, courtesy of Google images
A view along Richmond Drive, Leigh, courtesy of Google images

Fire officers have issued a warning about late-night cooking while drunk after a couple were rescued from a flat fire.

Crews were called to an address on Richmond Drive in Leigh at 2am on Saturday after residents living in a first floor flat could smell smoke and hear an alarm sounding from the flat below.

The occupants were unresponsive having left food unattended on the cooker, the fire service said.

Watch manager Howard Denton said: "The lights were on inside the flat and it was filled with smoke but there was no-one answering so we forced entry and helped them to safety.

"If it wasn't for the fact they had a working smoke alarm that alerted the people in the flat above this could have been very serious. It's never advisable to leave food unattended while cooking, especially after coming in from a night out."

The couple, a male and female, were treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

GMFRS is running an ongoing ban the pan campaign to highlight the dangers of leaving food unattended on the cooker.

Chair of the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Coun David Acton said: “It is very dangerous to leave any cooking food unattended, especially on an electric cooker as it is not always clear if the hob is on or off.

“Chip pans are incredibly dangerous and frequently cause devastating fires across Greater Manchester. We would urge anyone who still uses one to replace it with a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer or use oven chips instead.”

For a free Safe and Well Check and more safety advice visitwww.manchesterfire.gov.uk or phone 0800 555 815.