Cigarette is blamed for lounge fire

editorial image
Share this article

A WOMAN was lucky to escape unhurt after a living room fire caused by a cigarette being left burning when she fell asleep.

The blaze occurred at the house on Firs Lane, in Leigh, after the still-smoking cigarette set fire to a blanket covering her while she was sat on the sofa.

The woman then woke after being alerted by her smoke alarm and managed to get out of the property, but threw the blanket to the floor, causing the flames to spread to the sofa and laminate flooring.

Fire crews from Hindley, Leigh and Atherton were called to the property at around 7.40pm on Monday, and crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the end terrace to tackle the flames.

The crews managed to contain the fire in the living room, but the incident caused extensive smoke damage throughout the property.

The fire service is now warning smokers to ensure cigarettes are properly discarded.

Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Coun David Acton, said: “This fire was dealt with quickly but could have been much worse.

“Carelessly discarded smoking materials are a major cause of fires. Always stub cigarettes out properly and don’t smoke if feeling drowsy, taking medication or drinking alcohol.”