Cigarette destroys wagon

Fire service
Fire service
Share this article

A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette sparked a blaze at an industrial estate.

Crews were called to TJM Projects, at Prestwich Industrial Estate, off Bag Lane, in Atherton, at 10.45am on Saturday after a lit cigarette end set rubbish alight in a large bin.

The flames spread to a wagon, which was parked next to the wheelie bin.

The vehicle was completely destroyed.

A spokesman from Atherton Fire Service said: “It is important to ensure cigarettes are properly put out. This was put in a small bin, which was later taken out to the external bin, which then set alight and spread to the wagon.”