THE Rugby League community is being urged to get behind a Wigan sports club which was gutted by a fire.
The RFL has pleaded with fans across the country to rally to the assistance of Ashton Bears, after it was left with a £100,000 bill to repair damage to their clubhouse, in Low Bank Road.
The blaze, which fire chiefs believe was caused by an electrical fault, totally destroyed the lounge, storage rooms and kitchen of the clubhouse, in Low Bank Road, in the early hours of February 9.
Club chiefs, however, are in talks with the police as they fear that the premises was deliberately targeted by yobs, as graffiti was sprayed at the scene, They are now hoping to raise funds to cover costs, as they are not insured due to the clubhouse being classed as a structure and not a building.
David Gent, RFL director of participation and strategic partnerships, said: “This is a terrible shame and a major setback for Ashton Bears which does such a sterling job in their local community,
“The RFL is providing practical assistance and I know that the club has already had lots of offers of support from around the game.
“I would urge everyone involved in the game to do what they can to help Ashton Bears in their hour of need.”
And David Lowe, tier three competitions’ administrator at the RFL, added: “Many players have launched their careers at this club which is steeped in history.
“The fact that their ancestral home has been destroyed in such a tragic way is gut-wrenching.
“Now in this hour of need is the time for the whole Rugby League community to stand and unite behind Ashton Bears with an objective to help them recover their past and extend their longevity.”
Fans can contribute to the club’s fund-raising appeal by visiting www.justgiving.com/yimby/Ashtonbears.