Bedroom badly damaged by blaze

Fire service
Fire service
Share this article

A bedroom was severely damaged by a fire thought to have been caused by a lit candle.

A woman also required medical treatment following the blaze at a semi-detached house in Tyldesley in the early hours of the morning.

Fire crews were called to an address on Devon Road at around 12.15am on Saturday and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels to tackle the flames.

One firefighter who attended the scene said the bedroom was almost completely burnt out by the fire and it is believed a candle was the cause of the blaze.

A woman whose asthma was affected by the flames and smoke was also suffering from shock and was given oxygen therapy by the crews.

She also received a check-up from the ambulance service but did not need to go to hospital.

Once the blaze was out the firefighters used a large fan to draw out all the smoke and ventilate the entire property.

Crews from Leigh, Farnworth and Bolton Central attended the incident and spent around an hour and 40 minutes at the scene.

The fire brigade also asked the local authority to board up a window which had been destroyed in the fire.