Anger class for man after argument

Share this article

A TYLDESLEY man has agreed to attend an anger management programme following a violent argument with his partner.

Adam Morecroft, 25, of Manchester Road, admitted assaulting his partner, Lisa Grundy, and causing criminal damage when he appeared at Wigan Magistrates’ Court.

Paul Greenwood, prosecuting, told the court that Morecroft and Miss Grundy had left a family party and after consuming alcohol, argued as they walked home.

As Miss Grundy got a lift with a friend, she returned to find Morecroft at home.

Another argument followed and Miss Grundy went upstairs, where they continued to argue.

As the argument became violent, she ran downstairs and Morecroft ripped her top.

Miss Grundy fought back and ripped his T-shirt and he punched her in the face.

Morecroft then knocked her to the floor and kicked her in the head, laughing as she was crying in pain.

In previous court hearings, Morecroft denied the charges of assault and criminal damage worth £55 to a laptop, but later pleaded guilty – to different circumstances which were established during a Newton Hearing. Craige Parkinson, defending, said that in fact, Miss Grundy had ripped Morecroft’s shirt and he was followed by Miss Grundy as he went upstairs to change.

He said: “He accepts he damaged some of Miss Grundy’s clothing in revenge.

“She was shouting and screaming and made physical contact. He pushed her away on to the bed which formed the first part of the assault.”

He added Miss Grundy followed him downstairs and he slapped her once and punched her in the face.

He said: “He showed considerable remorse about the injuries sustained. This was not an unprovoked attack.”

Since the incident, which took place on September 26 last year, Morecroft has attended anger management classes and hopes to reconcile for the sake of their three-year-old daughter.

Morecroft was given a 12- month community order with a supervision requirement to attend an anger management and domestic violence programme.

He was also ordered to pay £80 costs.